Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Beer thief

A few weeks ago I was camping in New Hampshire at Russell pond. This place is great! The pond is surrounded an all sides by lush green hills. The water is a refreshingly comfortable temperature. It is so nice that I was not even bothered by the leaches and other pond life that was abundant. There was one moment when mother nature and I butted heads though. After a morning spent wading around in the water catching critters we sat relaxing at camp sipping some beers. I was half way through my first Sam Adams when I noticed a small black and yellow fly nosing around the rim. In an attempt to get the free loader away from my tasty beverage I blew on him. Instead of sending him on a new course, he went straight into my bottle! I held the bottle up to my one open eye peering down at the scamp. He was suspended on the top of the beer looking quite pleased. I swear I could hear him gulping down his weight in brew. I was not about to let this weasel drink up my afternoon refreshment. I tilted the bottle to my lips and began gulping down beer as fast as possible. The thought occurred that i might drink the fly as well, but so be it, serves him right! I am not much for chugging so I had to take a break. On my second round I finished the beer and again winked into the bottle. It was empty except for the unmoving fly at the bottle, somehow he had evaded my lips. I instantly felt bad for the little guy. After all he was after the same tasty treat as I, and I have respect for any beer enthusiast. I placed the bottle upside down on my hand and tapped the end until the fly fell into my palm. He was lifeless and drenched. I began blowing lightly on him hoping to wake him up, or dry him off. A little man to fly CPR if you will. after a few moments his legs began to twitch. I continued drying him with slow breaths. He eventually stood up but did not fly away. He looked dry now and it seemed the malty goodness from the brew had stuck his wings together. I considered washing him with some water but in the end figured he might not survive two swims in one day. His little legs continually ran over his body like he was frisking himself. And then suddenly his wings began buzzing and off he flew. As he flew away I think I saw him fly right into a tree, but flies can't really get drunk, can they?

2 comments:

Kev said...

I love this. You told the story from two point of views. You should right a children's book.

Suzy said...

I'm so glad I read Jonsey's part of the story before this one. It would have taken out the "mystery" part for sure. However this story put together a few missing pieces of the puzzle.. A great read. And again I agree with Kevie - you should consider writing a book for sure! LOve ya!