Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sports FANS!!


A huge difference between Boston and SLC is the sports fans. Back home people like sports. Most people support the Utah Jazz. And some of my greatest times stem from the clash of a U of U vs. BYU football game. But beyond this, the sports scene is fairly stagnant. But In Boston for many the local teams ARE vitally important. People will plan their commute, work schedule, even sleeping schedules around the local teams. You may think I am exaggerating, which I must admit I do at times. But here are some examples.
First, the Red Sox. (spelled SOX, not SOCKS, I got in trouble for this) EVERYONE here goes nuts for the red sox. The season opening occurred this week in Japan against the Oakland A’s. The game was aired here in Boston live and started at 5:45 am. Bars, yes Bars, opened early just for the occasion. And people packed these bars. Many people took the day off work, or went in late, just so they could watch this first seemingly trivial baseball game.
Fenway stadium is close to my apartment, and very close to the main hospital. On a game day, people are allowed and encouraged to leave early to beat the “Sox traffic”. And much like a snow day in Utah, no one is really penalized for missing work, or a meeting to attend a game.
A local furniture store, Jordan’s furniture, is offering a very special deal for the month of April. Any furniture bought in April is FREE if the sox sweep the World Series this year. They purchased an insurance policy just for this event. The same deal was offered last year, and I know two people who received full refunds when the Sox won the series.
Next, the Celtics. Anyone paying attention knows they are doing really well this year. I commute through North Station where they play all their games sometimes. Last night I went through just as the game let out. (They beat the Phoenix Suns by 20 points, Shout out to the Gun) The trains were packed! Everyone wearing green. And drunk. I have not mentioned yet, but over half of being a sports fan is consuming a lot of alcohol while cheering for your team. On the very packed train, a fight broke out. You are thinking that a Suns fan was being beaten by the mob I suspect, but no. Two Celtics fans started arguing over WHO was the BIGEST fan. It was all about loyalty and a long term commitment to the team. Besides the time I watched George argue with a girl (named Swan, no joke) for two hours about who would win in a fight between a pirate and a ninja, it was the dumbest thing I have ever seen.
And who can forget the Patriots. Oh yes, people are still mourning and debating the super bowl loss. The general consensus now if that the patriots threw the game for financial gain. Who really cares…? EVERYONE! On a side note, I won $750 betting on the Giants, Yeah!
In summary, you must like and support the local Boston teams if you intend on living here. Or you can do what I do. I make sure I read the sports section each day. This way if someone brings it up, which they always do, I can say something like- “Can you believe Garnett put up 30 last night! I say MVP for sure!”
Also, a pirate would make a ninja walk the plank.

4 comments:

Kev said...

Swan was a odd duck...and an ugly duckling at that. J/K. I also distinctly remember you egging both of them on in the argument because you thought it was funny... And didn't you say that a Jedi would beat both a pirate and a ninja to prolong the argument when it was starting to die out. That was hilarious.Stop looking at me SWAN!

Mikey said...

What a keen memory you have lil' bro! Yes I did push the argument into the bounds of reduckulous! Brining Jedi's into the business was golden.

Goosetavis said...

Are we talking Beverly Hills Ninja or like Samurai Ninja? And Jack Sparrow pirate or Treasure Island pirate? I can see the difficulty behind this conversation...people want details.

Mikey said...

Oh wow, Lucky Sam was not involved in the argument. She may have some good points. Even still, I don't care what kind of ninja you find Sam, a inebriated pirate with a loaded weapon would send hi to Davy Jones locker!