Saturday, June 7, 2008

B-more...?

This morning I woke super early...8 am. For someone that makes his own schedule this is EARLY. I had a plane to catch at 11 am for Baltimore. The international sleep medicine conference is happening this coming week and the Children's hospital funded my attendance. More on that later perhaps.
I did not have a suitable suitcase (ha) to transport the dress clothing I needed. I have always either traveled with a simple duffle bag or a backpack. Both of which would cause permanent wrinkles and creases in my dry clean only garments. I asked my roommates. The only offer I had was a medium sized red leather suitcase of Aaron's. I suitcase may of had its heyday sometime in the 70's but even then only the most brazen would be seen carrying it about. Of course Aaron fits this category of panache. The kid has not one, but three pair of white leather gatorish shoes. Being my only resort, I packed it up and off I went. I am now the guy sporting a nicely fluffed red afro, and suitcase to match.
Nothing really to mention at Logan intl.' airport. Security is a breeze, I always travel with only a carryon, no matter how long the trip. I did take the smallest commercial plane I have ever seen. There was no room for carryon, so they took my fancy bag as I boarded stowing it in the hull. Do planes have hulls? Is hull the right word? Anyway, tiny plane. I felt like a giant as the overhead was at shoulder level and the seat was nostalgic of my days as a toddler. My seat companion was my favorite type, a businessman, and frequent traveler. We exchanged simple pleasantries, worked out a arm rest sharing agreement, and then never spoke again.
Once we had arrived I stepped off the plane and was smacked in the face with very offensive weather. Last night I wore a sweater out, and now I felt like I was standing in a sumo wrestlers armpit after a especially rowdy match. But there is good news, unlike in the west were sweating actually makes you cooler as it evaporates, in the east it just accumulates and forms tiny rivers which all flow to awkward and uncomfortable collection points about your body.
The guy unloading the hull grabbed my manbag by the fastener, which immediately snapped, spilling the contents onto the tarmac. He looked around sheepishly, stuffed it all back in and slammed it onto the cart. Which leads me to the end of my travels for the day, a mile walk around the airport to find the light rail. Then a half hour ride into the city, all the while with my bag wide open displaying the valuable contents. Finally a mile trek back through the armpit to land me at the front desk of the hostel I am staying at looking like I have just finished a swim, What is Baltimore like? I will let you know, when I know. First impression, dirty.

5 comments:

Sir Georgio Loudbeard said...

If you had only asked moi about the suitcase situation you would be in possession of my nice black roller-bag complete with built-in garment bag. This time is was GEORGE with the necessary style!

Mikey said...

I would have asked you George if you had not been...busy...hrmm

Suzy said...

Sorry to hear you broke your roomies bag.. Glad you sat by your favorite type of person lol. Hope your safe and snug tonight...

Kev said...

I am surprised that the bag lasted as long as it did, Malaysian craftsmanship only goes so far.

simply ilott said...

Rumor has it, that suitcase was the one johnny depp used in Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas...

If you place your ear up to it, you can still here his voice.