Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Gil Hoy!

Brookline is a town, not a city. I learned this from a little old lady named Harriet. She went on to explain that this means there is no mayor in Brookline. We have what are called "select men". There are five select men and they work together to do the job a mayor would do. I should back up here...
I met Harriet as she was standing in the busy Brookline intersection of Coolidge Corner. She was holding a sign in support of Gil Hoy, who is running for select men (or select man, not really sure). The day was a bit chilly and overcast. Harriet asked me to hold the sign for a minute, her hands were very cold. Who could possibly tell a little old lady with cold hands no, not me. So I held the "Gil Hoy" sign to give this poor little lady a chance to warm her hands. We chatted a bit, she explained the complexities of brookline politics. She also outlined her reasons for supporting Gil, "the only candidate with any sensibility" she exclaimed. Time passed.
Eventually I felt I should be moving on. I told Harriet I had to leave and tried to give her back the sign. She would not take it from me! She said she was leaving and expected me to be in charge of the sign and do good things! I told her there was no way I could possibly stand on the corner holding this sign all day. I had never met Gil Hoy, and I can't vote in the election regardless. She remained her small polite self and matter of factly said "Gil is standing over there, go say hello, and tell him I had to leave and you are taking over". And with that she walked off leaving me standing holding a political sign, dumbfounded. Eventually it became clear to me. This little old lady had completely bamboozled me!
I stood there for a while lost in the idea that I can no longer trust unsuspecting grandmas. Finally I made my way over to Gil Hoy, who was standing on his soap box in the center of the intersection. He smiled hugely as I approached. Before I could open my mouth he extended his bear paw of a hand and vigorously shook mine. "I sure appreciate your support here!" he said. "your welcome" I replied. " I have to leave now" I continued. "well thanks for your time son!" With that he took the sign from me and I shuffled off feeling spun around by the whole incident. And that is how I became a active supporter of Gil Hoy by no action of my own! Word to the wise, just becasue she looks old, and sweet, and like your grandmother, be wary! The years of wisdom have made her very savy and sneaky!

3 comments:

Kev said...

Why do you get yourself into these situations. You have some weird attraction to old people. They are always bamboozling you. Like the old lady that put the curse on you in Vancouver, and the old guy that gave you his leftovers in the restaurant on the same trip. You need to stay clear of the elderly.

Jess said...

"I got robbed by a sweet old lady on a motorized cart! And I didn't even see it comin' man!"

simply ilott said...

Oh man! I totally forgot about the evil gypsy that put a curse on you! Maybe that's why we had that problem on the drive home! She made a voodoo doll and pokes a needle in your hip, i bet.