Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Boston, Big name- little city.

Boston is a big place. I am not sure how many people live here, but do know there are 300,000 college students alone. The great thing about Boston is how small it is despite its size. I think there are two reasons for this. One, different parts of Boston have their own names and attitudes. For instance I live in Brookline Village, or just "the village". Its mostly Jewish upper middle class. We have tons of restaurants and small shops. Some other places are Washington Square (heavy Russian influence) Back Bay ($$$) The North End (little Italy) Cambridge (Harvard and MIT, what more do I need to say) Roxbury (don't go there) Jamaica Plain (Artists, big houses) South End (Irish) and so on. People take pride in where they live, which promotes solidarity. And the second reason there is an intimate feeling is that people are forced to be near each other. If you commute, you see the same faces on the train. It becomes rude after seeing the same face everyday not to say hi. Having laundry in your building is a luxury. So again you see the same people week after week (or month after month in my case) washing their drawers. And what’s more intimate than washing your undies with your neighbors. Because most people walk, they use places that are convenient. Same grocers, same banks, same delis, same coffee shops.

The catalyst for this rant is that I actually ran into the same girl three times yesterday, in three different places. First she was in the laundry mat, then in the coffee shop, and finally in the restaurant where I had dinner. But I don't live in Wyoming or some other tiny place. I live in Boston. And yet I run into the same people all the time. Sometimes its old friends but often it’s a familiar face, who becomes a new friend. If you approach someone friendly they are very likely to reciprocate. So the next time you find yourself stuck in line try saying hello to someone.

3 comments:

Kev said...

The last time I said hello to someone. I got punched in the junk. I don't think people are as nice out here.

Suzy said...

I love hearing about it there! Makes me want to come visit even more! If I can afford it someday,, I will be there!! I like hearing about the different areas to. California was like that. San Diego is devided into different "beach towns" that each have a personality of their own. It's funny to look at society and how people naturally group themselves together with others who share common interests. Very cool that you ran into a girl three times in one day.. Perhaps you should ask her out..

Goosetavis said...

The only people I have found interesting and that I see on a regular basis are; the mailman (Harry), Duone (cashier at smith's), and this creepy guy who tries to sit next to me on the bus (have not tried to get his name) who comments about my shoes. Other than that, you get the cold shoulder wherever you go. So sad.